Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:42:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Brian Henning <b1henning@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 12:20:20PM -0500, Brian Henning wrote:

> i am trying to do a make buildworld on my machine and I don't understand a
> few things about it. can someone explain what the CVSROOT enviornment
> variable is for? is this the path to the cvsup directory... should i be
> doing a cvsup before or after a buildworld?

CVSROOT is used by cvs(1), which doesn't normally come into doing a
buildworld.  CVSROOT normally contains the path to the cvs repository.

cvsup(1) is a program for synchronising filesystems across a network
efficiently.  It utilizes cvs(1) on the server to generate exactly the
difference between the version on the server and the version on your
machine.  You definitely want to run cvsup before doing your
buildworld, so you can do it with the nice shiny new sources you've
just pulled down.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way