Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 21:58:36 -0500
From:      Munish Chopra <mchopra@engmail.uwaterloo.ca>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Still problems with ULE

On 2003-02-10 20:36 +0000, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>
> > I gave ULE another try just now, following your recent commits, and
> > I'm seeing even worse problems:
> >
> > At boot time when the X server is loading, disk activity occurs
> > briefly about once every 2 seconds; the mouse is active briefly at the
> > same time, and nothing much else happens for about a minute until the
> > entire system deadlocks.
>
> Very weird.  Is this on UP or SMP?  I'm still working on a couple of
> issues with ule.  I think I am very happy with the dynamic priority
> selection now but in the process the slice size selection got kinda dirty.
> Its pretty much bug for bug compatible with the old scheduler's context
> switching decisions but the errors there are more serious with this
> design.  I also think the max slice size is way too high now.  I was
> experimenting with that and I accidentally checked it in.

I'm seeing some of the same with sources from about 90 minutes ago. UP
system, loading X is a pain. Interactivity is somewhat alright up until
I start a compile, at which point the system goes down on it's
knees. It hasn't completely deadlocked (yet?), but it's pretty much
unusable if anything intensive is happening.

--
Munish Chopra