Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:42:17 +0800 (WST)
From:      David Adam <zanchey@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>
To:        Xinizul Xinizul <xinizul@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Release 5.3 available

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Xinizul Xinizul wrote:

> Just a question .. when I downloaded the version 5.2.1 I didn't use
> ISO 2 at all. Just used ISO 1 and then install additional ports from
> some FTP (using pkg_add -r). Is it really needed ?

Ideally? No.

ISO 2 contains:

"A ``live filesystem'', which is used in conjunction with the ``Repair''
facility in sysinstall. A copy of the FreeBSD CVS tree. As many additional
third party packages as would fit on the disc."

It's probably not a bad idea to have lying around in case your system
ever gets hosed. It will also allow you to install /usr/src without
downloading the entire tree.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David Adam