Date:         Wed, 30 Oct 96 15:31 PST
From:      Denis DeLaRoca (310) 825-4580        <CSP1DWD@MVS.OAC.UCLA.EDU>
To:        hasty@RAH.STAR-GATE.COM (Amancio Hasty)
Cc:        multimedia@FREEBSD.ORG, gwh@SPIDERS.COM (Gene W Homicki)
Subject:   Re: Re: rah.star-gate.com:/pub/guspnp5.tar.gz

>  +---
>  | Can you and Gene post your configuration?
>  | Also at what speed is the isa bus running?
>  +---

Ok, I did more testing of the guspnp5 driver with the vat-4.0b1a
binary. I am afraid things don't look much better. My current multicast
traffic feed is not the best and that seems to exacerbate the situation
with the guspnp5 driver. Sound was just unintelligible with the new
guspnp5 driver... I switched to vat-4.0b2 which uses the gus driver in
half duplex and that was somewhat better but still pretty bad. I also
kept getting sound loops but they would only last temporarily.

I should not confuse the discussion by putting vat-4.0b2 in the picture
but I was desperate to listen to the Berkeley Multimedia Seminar today
and was trying everything.

With vat-4.0b1a -- that you have modified -- I've seen good results
when my multicast traffic feed is of good quality, ie., packet losses
are minimal and arrival times are orderly. But when this degrades the
combination of the guspnp5 driver and vat-4.0b1 deteriorates to the
point of unintelligibility, lots of echos, distortion and noise.

-- Denis