Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:23:18 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Thorsten Schroeder <ths@katjusha.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   GEOM gbde broken?

Hi,

i updated my -current box yesterday from cvs to FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT #6: Sun
Oct 19 17:40:10 CEST 2003.

Now i'm not able to attach gbde encrypted filesystems - regardless if it's a
disk image created with mdconfig, or a partition on harddisk.

gdbe attach works without any error message, but when i try fsck the partition
/ disk it fails. I'm also not able to mount this thing.

I moved the image files to another -current box (Sep 25 14:51:13 CEST 2003)
and i was able to attach, fsck and mount the gdbe-disks.

After gdbe attach it's possible to grep for cleartext data in /dev/$disk.bde
but you're not able to fsck it:

# /sbin/fsck -t ffs -p /dev/md0c.bde
Cannot find file system superblock
/dev/md0c.bde: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/md0c.bde: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
/dev/md0c.bde: CANNOT SEEK BLK: -1
/dev/md0c.bde: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

# /sbin/fsck -t ffs /dev/md0c.bde
** /dev/md0c.bde
Cannot find file system superblock
ioctl (GCINFO): Inappropriate ioctl for device
fsck_ffs: /dev/md0c.bde: can't read disk label

And its also not possible to create a new gbde-device. After gdbe init and
gbde attach of a newly created memory disk (-t vnode) i tried to newfs it and:

# newfs -U -O2 /dev/md0c.bde
/dev/md0c.bde: 4.8MB (9728 sectors) block size 16384, fragment size 2048
        using 4 cylinder groups of 1.20MB, 77 blks, 192 inodes.
        with soft updates
super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at:
160, 2624, 5088, 7552
cg 0: bad magic number