Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 2002 06:26:40 -0700
From:      Peter Hessler <phessler@theapt.org>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        david@catwhisker.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, sziszi@bsd.hu
Subject:   Re: Weirdness trying -STABLE -> -CURRENT

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 21:31:35 -0700 (PDT) Nate Lawson wrote:

:I upgraded a machine from 4.6R to -CURRENT today and had similar
:problems.  Comments below.
:

I upgraded from 4.5R to -CURRENT last night, and had /no/ issues.

:On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, David Wolfskill wrote:
:> 	To upgrade from 4.x-stable to current
:> 	-------------------------------------
:> 	make buildworld
:> 	make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
:> 	cp src/sys/${MACHINE_ARCH}/conf/GENERIC.hints /boot/device.hints [2]
:> 	make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
:>
:> No problem up to here.
:
:Same.
:
Ditto

:> 	reboot in single user [3]
:>
:> OK; here we have a fundamental problem, illustrated by the following
:> commands I issued just after the "make installkernel":
:>
:> freebeast(4.6-S)[3] grep '^kernel' /boot/defaults/loader.conf
:> kernel="/kernel"
:> kernel_options=""
:> freebeast(4.6-S)[4]
:>
:> The clue that I had was reviewing the transcript, and when I did the
:> single-user boot, the system identified itself as 4.6-STABLE.
:
:This happened to me too.  Perhaps the instructions should say to unload
:kernel; load /boot/kernel/kernel on reboot or maybe explicitly copy in the
:new /boot/defaults/loader.conf like you do with device.hints?
:

"unload kernel; load /boot/kernel/kernel; boot -s" brought up 5-CURRENT.

/snip errors that I didn't get and problems I didn't experiance/
fsck -p
mount -u /
mount -a
cd /usr/src
make installworld #Note the lack of option '-k'
mergemaster

Everything went perfect (well, except my hands hurting from pressing 'i'
and [enter] about 7 bajillion times. ;-)

So possibly, the only thing that needs to be added to UPDATING is
the recommendation to do the unload/load dance?

--
Peter Hessler [phessler@theapt.org]
[http://www.theapt.org]