Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:00:06 +0100
From:      John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>, John Marino <freebsdml@marino.st>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: synth package for 11-CURRENT amd64

On 2016-02-27 10:50, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>> From where could I fetch a pre-build package of synth for my
> 11.0-CURRENT r292778 (amd64)? Thanks in advance.
> I'm used to poudriere for my ~1800 packages and want to give it a try
> without building ada before.

According to portsmon, synth package is available on amd64-head:

/portsmon.freebsd.org/portoverview.py?category=ports-mgmt&portname=synth

You should be able to install it like any other package.  It's a small
package.

> If I understand the documentation right, a run of 'synth
> prepare-system'
> would build all packages which are *installed* on the host. Can I build
> all which are in my local repository:
>
> $ ls /usr/PKGDIR.20151230 | wc -l
>     1794

Let me answer this way: you can pass a text file to Synth that lists one
port origin per line and it will build that port (along with any ports
it depends on).  So however you generate that input file is valid.

However, it's bad form to just generate that list from an existing
directory because you are manually specifying dependency ports.  All you
need to do is define the leaf ports.  For example, you only need to
define "editors/libreoffice", not the entire dependency tree of
libreoffice.  So maybe you should start with a generated input file and
manually extract the leaf ports to create the final input file.

Does that make sense?

John