Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:04:19 -0400
From:      Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Administrivia: Discussion - Making this list subscriber-only

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 11:49:53AM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
> I would very much like to make this list subscriber-only. This will
> cut down dramatically on spam and the inevitable misdirected
> 'subscribe' postings. The downside is that folks will not be able
> to reply to the list if they receive it via a list redirector (IE
> if a corporate role account/list-alias has been used to subscribe).
> In this case, those folks would become read-only members (which may
> in some cases be OK). Other folks would need to subscribe to the
> list with their 'real' email address.
>
> Comments? Suggestions? (Keep it brief and focussed, folks!)

I don't know how feasible it is with the softare used, but NANOG has a
setup where there are two kinds of subscriptions, 'read' and 'post'. If
you join read, you get all the messages and such, but cannot post. if you
join post, you can do just that, but still need to join read to get the
messages. This makes it easy for a company to subscribe a role account
and have individual employees subscribe to the post list if they want
to join the conversations.

Jamie