Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 12:22:00 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> > In light of this, the GPL is the *only* license that effectively protects a
> > software commons.
>
> More appeal to emotions, and an attempt at making the GPL "holy".  Even if
> copyleft fit the description (and IMO it does not), the GPL is not the only
> license for copyright.

It is more than a simple appeal to emotions. Real "commons" in history
were plots of land owned by the feudal nobility and rented out in
exchange for oaths of serfdom. By stating that the GPL protects the
software commons, the conclusion is that developers are akin to feudal
lords and users are like serfs.

I would rather give the users their own plot of land that they can do
with as they wish. That is why I prefer to use the BSD license.

> In my opinion, the former makes more sense, as "We take your freedom away, and
> thus you are more free!" has never made sense to me.

Nor to me. The GPL advocates usually use real world laws against theft
and murder as a justification for restricting freedom in order to
protect freedom. But laws against theft and murder are not for the
purpose of protecting freedom! Their purpose is to hinder or prevent
theft and murder! I know of no real world law that restricts freedom for
the stated purpose of protecting freedom.

Protecting freedom by limiting freedom is one of silliest ideas I have
yet encountered.

Perhaps the Free Software should be renamed to "Fair Software". Then the
philosophy and actions of GNU/FSF would make a lot more sense. After
all, the real world is replete with laws limiting freedom and
restricting liberty in order to protect "fairness".

David