Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 15:01:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        evanc@synapse.net
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> I am looking to use FreeBSD as a router to route IP between 3 or 4
> Ethernet segments (meaning 3 or 4 NICs).  I have a PCI 486 (Asus SP3G)
> all line up for the job.  The only thing I need are some NICs.

I am in the process of qualifing the ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G for multiple
PCI bus master operation.  By all indications so far it works just
fine when running 3 NCR bus master controllers, so it does not appear
to have the same bug that the Neptune chip set does in this area
(Neptune based boards barfs 10 minutes into my 2 day long test suite).

I have not got to the 3 Dec 21040 based testing yet.

> My question: what are the best PCI Ethernet (10base2 at this time,
> though combo cards would be appreciated) NICs available that work with
> FreeBSD?

XX. TMG CPXPCI/32C Compex ENET32-PCI PCI 32bit ethernet combo          $ 103.00

Currently out of stock, more due in on June 28th.  I have plenty of this
one in stock though:
XX. TMG SMC12680 SMC9332EVAL SMC 10/100MB qty 2 DEC 21140 combo        $ 285.00

That is 2 cards, so it is $142/card, and you have the ability to go
100BaseTx when you need it.

> On top, if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with this sort
> of a setup I'd like to hear about it.  While I'm sure many people
> would suggest that I get a Cisco or a similar box to do the job, I
> really can't justify the cost of one of those units in our small
> business environment.  A PC running gated gives the best
> price/performance ratio.

I am running 4 of the SMC cards in a 90Mhz Pentium acting as a router
here.  Works just fine, though FreeBSD could use some routing code
overhauls (performance wise it does not make a very fast router :-().

This was done to delay the expenduture for a Grand Junction 100MB/sec
100BaseTX hub for a month or two and so far I am happy with it.