Date:      Tue, 18 Jan 2000 00:24:20 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, rjoseph@nwlink.com, brett@peloton.runet.edu
Subject:   Re: can't make certain ports: followup

> > > I think one potential area of confusion is this:  Again, IF I
> > > UNDERSTAND THIS CORRECTLY (and i think i do ;-) 'make deinstall' c=
alls
> > > pkg_delete, but if the makefile has been changed by a recent cvsup=
,
> > > there is always the possibility this may not work correctly, altho=
ugh
> > > it SHOULD.  I generally use pkg_delete just to be safe.

> > Nope - as noted above - make deinstall calls pkg_delete which reads
> off
> > its OWN original packing list, not what's in
> > /usr/ports/some_dir/some_port/pkg/PLIST.

Dear Brett Taylor,

I write again because I am not sure that your last point is valid;
however, issuing "make deinstall", which, incidentally, calls
pkg_delete, does NOT perform the same identical action as issuing
"pkg_delete" directly -- as one should also easily find out e.g. by
sheer trial and error (at a bare minimum, make deinstall ~ pkg_delete
-f).

As R.J. Wright has just experienced himself, typing "make deinstall"
in his freshly updated KDE metaport directory caused an attempt at
uninstalling the *new* (meta)port components, which of course was NOT
possible.

My experience seems to confirm R.J.Wright's.

Further, in a good number of past letters, the following statement is
often repeated: "make deinstall" does NOT uninstall the *old* port
packages; use pkg_delete instead.

I should really jump into the bsd.port.mk (and related stuff) some day
or other ... :-)

Incidentally, in the Complete FreeBSD 2nd ed.,the only edition
available in Sicily (so far), in the "Mantaining ports" section,
G.Lehey seems to suggest using pkg_delete to remove a port.

Am I missing anything ?

Best regards,
Salvo