Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 2000 11:39:47 -0500
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
To:        Sean O'Connell <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:  lockups

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

>You might want to let the group know what the machine is running
>(irc/web/shell/???).  Any kind of load level/history.  A kernel
>config?

This machine is a shell server, with a bunch of IRC processes on it.
Minimal hosting. (just user pages, server/~foo)

I attached my kernel config, if this would help anyone out.

If it's up long enough, pretty high load.   Once people get a chance to
get their processes back up, around 400-500 processes.  The machine can
handle this though, it's a dual 550 MHz, with 768 MB ram.

>Does the machine completely drop its keyboard too?  You might

Yep - totally locked up. Doesn't respond at all.

>consider compiling in  DDB support and then when the machine looks
>up, break into the debugger (CTRL+ALT+ESC from one of the console
>... just did it on my desktop :) and run ps and see what processes
>are going on.  then you can type "continue" to return to the run
>level ...

I'll give this a try -- we'll have to see if it responds to that key
sequence after it crashes.

>Does your machine have apm enabled in the kernel and/or in the BIOS?
>This could be heat/memory related as well.  There were several threads
>on incidents like this where it turned out that the cpu cooling fans
>had stopped running and replacing them fixed things.

APM is not enabled in the kernel.  If this is relevant, a few days ago the
box crashed and it was scrolling errors related to microuptime() (I can post
these if relevant) and someone suggested that APM was causing that, which
had never been compiled in this box's kernels.

If nobody has any other ideas, I guess I'll replace the cooling fans.
I'll also check out the BIOS and make sure APM-type stuff is disabled.

Thanks for your time!

-Pete

--
Pete Fritchman <petef@databits.net>
Databits Network Services, Inc

--jRHKVT23PllUwdXP

machine		i386
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		BINARY
maxusers	384

#makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

options 	MATH_EMULATE		#Support for x87 emulation
options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options 	USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options 	KTRACE			#ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	P1003_1B		#Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options		ICMP_BANDLIM		#Rate limit bad replies
options		TCP_DROP_SYNFIN
options		TCP_RESTRICT_RST

#options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev

# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options 	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
options 	APIC_IO			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O
# Optionally these may need tweaked, (defaults shown):
#options 	NCPU=2			# number of CPUs
#options 	NBUS=4			# number of busses
#options 	NAPIC=1			# number of IO APICs
#options 	NINTR=24		# number of INTs

device		isa
device		eisa
device		pci

# Floppy drives
device		fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device		fd0	at fdc0 drive 0
device		fd1	at fdc0 drive 1

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
device		atapifd			# ATAPI floppy drives
device		atapist			# ATAPI tape drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
#options 	ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA	#Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12

device		vga0	at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? flags 0x100

# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device		vt0	at isa?
#options 	XSERVER			# support for X server on a vt console
#options 	FAT_CURSOR		# start with block cursor
# If you have a ThinkPAD, uncomment this along with the rest of the PCVT lines
#options 	PCVT_SCANSET=2		# IBM keyboards are non-std

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1	at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device		sio2	at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device		sio3	at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		plip		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device
#device		vpo		# Requires scbus and da

# PCI Ethernet NICs.
device		de		# DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
device		fxp		# Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
device		tx		# SMC 9432TX (83c170 ``EPIC'')
device		vx		# 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
#device		xl		# 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# ISA Ethernet NICs.
device          ed0     at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
device          ex
device          ep

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device	loop		# Network loopback
pseudo-device	ether		# Ethernet support
pseudo-device	pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device	bpf		#Berkeley packet filter

# IP Filter support
options         IPFILTER
options         IPFILTER_LOG

# More mbufs