Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:43:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        chris@vindaloo.com (Christopher Sean Hilton)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SchedULE vs BSD scheduler

Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Those machines work very well with both FreeBSD 6 and 7.
 > > If you install FreeBSD 7, remember to enable ULE instead
 > > of the default BSD scheduler.
 >
 > What's the advantage of ULE / disadvantage of the default?
 > Is it specific to this hardware?

I generally recommend to use ULE on FreeBSD 7 because
it behaves better for interactive use, especially on
SMP systems (but it seems to improve interactivity on
UP systems, too).  It's not specific to this hardware.

Note that SCHED_ULE is now the default in 7-stable,
and will be the default in 7.1-RELEASE.  The change
was done shortly after 7.0-RELEASE.

Best regards
   Oliver

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.