Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:15:15 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suspend powers off machine

Eric Anderson wrote:
> I'm going to have some time on my hands next week, and I'd like to hunt
> down an issue with my laptop.  When attempting to go into S3, instead of
> going into S3, it powers off (uncleanly).  Can anyone tell me where this
> might be happening in the code, so I can start the printf debugging
> process?

It's nearly 100% certain it happens in AcpiEnterSleepState at the write
to PM1A.  This is in sys/contrib/dev/acpica/hwsleep.c

In thinking about it, my best theory is that the southbridge interprets
this write as an S4/S5 transition.  Perhaps the ASL gives the wrong
value to write?  Perhaps the chipset is not being prepared for S3
correctly.  In any case, better chipset specs would probably help
diagnose this.

Other possibilities are that the setting of SLP_EN should be done at the
same time as the write with the SLP_TYP value (i.e. write
SLP_TYPE_S3|SLP_EN instead of splitting the write into two phases).  It
also may be that the previous steps like disabling BM ctrl are not
appropriate for some chipsets.

If you can get more info, I can refine this theory.

--
Nate