Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:36:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Utz <john@utzweb.net>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   midi status in 4.4-RELEASE or STABLE

hello;

without engendering any bonus bitching, can anybody make any
(productive!) comment about midi support in 4.4?

Here is what i understand, and i hope that somebody could help me fill in
the gaps:

1. Some cards have some degree of midi support written for them. a quick
grep thru /usr/src/sys/dev/sound indicates that the aureal, csa and vibes
pci implentations and the ess, gus, and sb* isa implementations have the
word 'midi' in them ( there's some exhaustive research!  : -) )

GAP 1: Do any of these actually work? can you drive an external midi
device with them?

2. The CMedia CMI8738 has a TODO MIDI note in it's driver.

GAP 2: Is there further documentation? can i help? what needs doing?

3. The newmidi driver
	http://www.r.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~tanimura/freebsd-serialmidi/

GAP 3: Did this go anywhere? is there a more recent implementation? or is
just something that works already and i should be using for all my midi
needs?

tnx for any help you can provide!

 --

John L. Utz III
john@utzweb.net

Idiocy is the Impulse Function in the Convolution of Life