Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 1999 00:23:33 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Stephane Potvin <sepotvin@videotron.ca>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ARM support

Stephane Potvin wrote:

> > Mmmmm... have you tried ext2fs?
>
> Yes, loading from an ext2fs partition works fine. Well, I tried for the
> last 10 minutes to find a suitable way to tell in a manner that would not
> sounds religious that using ext2fs is not really an option to no avail.
> I guess that my english skills are not that good :-)
> Thanks for the suggestion though.

Hehhehe. :-)

See, the *only* thing you need on ext2fs is /boot/*. You create a
fake root with fully-populated /boot on an ext2fs, and the real root
(including the kernel) on another partition. Since *loader* groks
ufs, you should be ok.

Actually, /kernel, /kernel.old may also reside on ext2fs, as they
not used after being loaded by loader.

Anyway, as the end result, your system will be running fully ufs
once booted. Special care will be needed when installing/upgrading
boot stuff, but...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	What y'all wanna do?
	Wanna be hackers? Code crackers? Slackers
	Wastin' time with all the chatroom yakkers?