Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:48:51 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
To:        "Kory Hamzeh" <kory@avatar.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with nut 0.44.3

On Sunday 30 September 2001 10:33 pm, Kory Hamzeh wrote:
> I'm running nut 0.44.3 on RELEASE-4.3. When I try to start the APC Smart
> monitor demon, I get the following error:
>
> ns1# /usr/local/libexec/nut/apcsmart /dev/cuaa1
> Network UPS Tools - APC Smart protocol driver 0.54 (0.44.3)
> apcsmart: Can't uu_lock cuaa1: creat error: Permission denied
>
> Browsing the archives it was states that the file
> /var/state/ups/apcsmart-cuaa1 must exist and it must be writeable by UUCP
> (and it is).
>
> The /dev/cuaa1 device has permissions set to 666.
>
> What else could it be? The nut docs states that the drivers give up root
> before they open the devices. It did not state what user they run as at
> that point. Anyway, since the permissions are 666 on cuaa1 and 777 on
> apcsmart-cuaa1, I suspect that that it not the problem.
>
> Thanks,
> Kory

I'm having the same problems trying to get my Back-Ups UPS working. I talked
with APC and they said even though unix/linux isn't "officially" supported it
should work with cable #940-0023. I ordered that cable and I'll post my
results when it arrives.

Beech

--
Micro$oft: "Where can we make you go today?"
     Beech Rintoul - IT Manager - Instructor - akbeech@anchoragerescue.org