Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 17:47:25 +0100
From:      petzi@zit.th-darmstadt.de (Michael Beckmann)
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Block size on hard disk

Hi,

I have a 4 GB SCSI disk (DFHS) from IBM in my system, attached to an NCR
810 controller. It is formatted for 512 bytes per block, like mosts hard
disks. I noticed that the disk can be formatted for 512, 1024 and 2048
bytes per block. I was thinking whether it would be wise to reformat it for
1024 B/block. I know of some Seagate disks which gain a few 100 MB through
this. But I also heard that some operating systems have trouble with larger
block sizes. I assume that FreeBSD is not vulnerable to this ? Will it have
an effect on performance ? Any experiences with this ?

Thanks,

Michael