Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 07:53:31 -0500
From:      "Brian" <wrath@shianet.org>
To:        <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: co-location model

I'm with you 100%.  I see my school buying overpriced Sun pieces of shit
just because they don't know any better.  They've got an Ultra10 workstation
that is used for nonmajor computer science students.  My desktop has more
horsepower, and it only cost me $900 compared to their $6000.  And my
machine doesn't puke out when it gets tired.

I think the real issue is space among everything else.  If you reliable run
multiple instances of an operating system on one larger machine instead of
multiple machines with a single operating system, it'll save space.

Imagine an ISP offering introductory cobalt raq's to their customers.
You've got hundreds of these little machines filling up your racks, and most
of them aren't even being used at 10%.  With a "mainframe" you can have
hundreds of "cobalt raqs" running in the space of the hundreds of cobalt
raqs, many times over.

However, I'd still stick with a bunch of cobalt raqs.  When one of them
dies, you yank it out of the rack and slap a new one in.

Oh yeah, and I don't use any Cobalt machines.  I'm just giving an example as
to most colocator's suggested option for new customers.  I'll be sticking
with my P6DBE's and katmai's for a good time to come.

brian@wrath.com