Date:      Mon, 4 Apr 2005 11:17:19 +0200
From:      Dick Hoogendijk <dick@nagual.st>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HZ=1000 ?

I read about polling and HZ=1000. The latter is not high enough for
vmware3 (it complains..). I read 'man polling' and learn something about
this, but I really want to know more about 'hz=1000'

The GENERIC has hz=100 as I recall (fbsd-4.11). Can somebody explain I
"human language" what happens if you raise this HZ? Is there a processor
related issue here? What exectly happens if you have 'hz=1000' or is it
maybe better to have 'hz=2000' ? I can't decide now because I don't
understand what happens.. So, anybody?

--
dick -- http://nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.11 ++ FreeBSD 5.3