Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:13:43 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?B?0e7TwtbH?= <yyzox@public.wh.hb.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem on installing FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE

Dear ÑîÓÂÖÇ,

Saturday, June 22, 2002, 3:50:01 AM, you wrote:

Ñ> I have problems when installing FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE.
Ñ> My computer¡¯s hardware is shown below:
Ñ>   CPU:       Celeron 400MHz
Ñ>   Chipset:   VIA VT82C691 + VT82C586B
Ñ>   BIOS:      Award (1998)
Ñ>   Hard Disk: Maxtor 4D040H2 (40GB IDE)
Ñ>   Memory:    2*128MB SDRAM

Ñ> At first, the BIOS couldn't recognize the new Maxtor Disk. I upgraded it
Ñ> to 2001,
Ñ> and it worked. I planned to partition the disk as follow:
Ñ>   Primary Partition 1: 7.2GB, FAT32, (ad0s1), Windows XP Pro
Ñ>   Primary Partition 2: 4.0GB, UFS, ad0s3, FreeBSD
Ñ>                        ad0s3a, 3840MB, mount as /
Ñ>                        ad0s3b, 256MB,  swap
Ñ>   Extended Partition: (ad0s2), Logical Disk 1 and 2: NTFS, Windows XP
Ñ> Pro

Ñ> I setup Windows XP first, and install System Commander 7.04 as the boot
Ñ> manager.
Ñ> During the installation of FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE, when the system is
Ñ> making the
Ñ> /dev/ad0s3a, I see warning messages from virtual terminal 2:
Ñ>   Warning: Block size and bytes per inode restrict cylinders per group
Ñ> to 89.
Ñ>   Warning: inode blocks/cyl group (171) >= data blocks (64) in last
Ñ> cylinder
Ñ>   group. This implies 2048 sector(s) can¡¯t be allocated.

Ñ> During the format process, I see following messages showing frequently:
Ñ>   ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
Ñ>   ata0: resetting devices ... done

Ñ> After file system was made, the above messages still show intermittently
Ñ> during
Ñ> the file copy process. Finally, system shows something like this and
Ñ> reboot:
Ñ>   Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Ñ>   fault virtual address   =       ...
Ñ>   fault code / supervisor write, page not present
Ñ>   instruction pointer = ...
Ñ>   stack pointer =         ...
Ñ>   frame pointer =         ...
Ñ>   code segment =          ...
Ñ>                =          ...
Ñ>   processor eflags =     ...
Ñ>   current process =      ...
Ñ>   interrupt mask =       ...
Ñ>   trap number =           12
Ñ>   panic: page fault

Ñ> Or something like this:
Ñ>   panic: syncing disk ...

Ñ> After several times of defeat, I try to install FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE
Ñ> instead, which uses
Ñ> wd driver for hard disks. Except the following warning message, nothing
Ñ> went wrong
Ñ> -- the installation has been completely successful:
Ñ>   Warning: the last 2048 sector(s) can¡¯t be allocated.

Ñ> What¡¯s the problem with FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE?

Ñ> yyzox

Ñ> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

Your root is very large. Could you try making it so that:
/ = 128M
swap
/var = 256M
/tmp = 256M
/usr every thing else
and see what happens.

Pressing the a(uto) key during the label process will do this for you.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
www.freebsd.org/handbook

How to get best results from the FreeBSD- questions mailing list
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

Alternative:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html