Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2007 07:45:07 +0200
From:      "Johan Hendriks" <Johan@double-l.nl>
To:        "Jean-Paul Natola" <jnatola@familycareintl.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: reboot in single user

>I'm curious to know if there is a command to reboot into single user =
mode- *
>more importantly* if I do reboot in single user mode can I still SSH  =
in?

>My box is not physically near me and I'm upgrading 5.5 to 6.2 - so it =
this
>possible- or do I need to go get the box and attach a keyboard monitor =
and
>mouse to it?

>Thanks

>>Shutdown now goes into single user mode, but it will close SSH
>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>Better is to manually shutdown al daemons through /usr/local/etc/rc.d =
and
>>/etc/rc.d to only have sshd running.
>>If you using natd do not stop it either, because it will disconnect =
you.>

>>Then you can  finnish the make world cycles.
>>That is the way I do it from a remote shell, it it only failed me =
once.

>>Else try on a spare machine install 5.5 and update it to 6.2 through a =
ssh
>>version, then you know what to expect.
>>Also install the main ports you have running on your remote 5.5 box =
and try
>>if they still work.

>How long will this take- as stopping  the daemons (spamd/clamd etcc..) =
will
>cause a halt in my incoming mail?

Weel it is only the make installworld and mergemaster part so I guess =
about a minut or 10

You can do the buildworld and buildkernel steps and let the machine do =
its work,
Then you can install the kernel do a mergemaster -p and then shutdown =
all services.

Then do the make installworld and mergemaster part.
Also if you go from 5.5 to 6.2 you can do make delete-old it will remove =
files that are not part of the base in 6.2
And after that make delete-old-libs (WARNING) this can mean you will =
need to recompile some ports that use the old 5 libs, like bash
If your shell is bash and you reboot the machine the possibility is that =
bash need an old 5.5 lib, so no access to your machine anymore.

Well again install 5.5 on a spare machine, install the ports you have =
running on the remote location (or create packages from the other =
machine) and do the cycle on that spare machine, this way no unexpected =
things should happen.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.=20
18:32
=20