Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 2018 23:36:23 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFT] [X11] graphics/drm-next-kmod now builds, loads and works on FreeBSD-11-stable

On 02/18/18 23:27, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:35 PM, Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi FreeBSD desktop users!
>>
>> During the past week and over the weekend all parts needed for building,
>> completed!
>>
>> A big thanks to all the people contributing to graphics support under
>> FreeBSD in both kernel and user-space! You'll find their names in the
>> commit logs including myself :-)
>>
>> Links:
>> https://www.freshports.org/graphics/drm-next-kmod
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/base/329527
>>
>> Issues are reported here:
>> https://github.com/FreeBSDDesktop/kms-drm/issues
>>
>> --HPS

Hi Kevin,

> Wow! That is awesome. Thanks to all of the contributors.

Thank you!

> Any instructions? Am I right that the mod setting driver should generally
> be used. None of the links above really covers implementation.

I believe the package when you install it will give you some
instructions in the pkg-message.

Basically:

portsnap fetch update

Make sure your kernel sources in /usr/src .
cd /usr/src
make buildkernel -jX
make installkernel -jX

cd /usr/ports/graphics/drm-next-kmod
make all install clean

Edit /etc/rc.conf and add for example:

kld_list="i915kms"

Then reboot and twin your thumbs.

If it fails goto single user mode.

mount -a

Edit /etc/rc.conf and remove the kld_list=...
Save and type exit.

Before starting X.org you should have the correct xf86-video-xxx drivers
installed, because then 2D and 3D acceleration will activate.

A quick tip for tear-free video with intel drivers:

cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Device0"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "sna"