Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2011 21:08:30 -0700
From:      Paul Beard <paulbeard@gmail.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wireless access point in FreeBSD 8.2p2

On Aug 27, 2011, at 8:48 PM, CyberLeo Kitsana wrote:

> tcpdump(1) is your friend; it seems cryptic and obtuse at first =
glance,
> but it will help immensely
>=20
I wasn't sure there was any reason to use that yet: I can't even ping it =
from another host.=20

> wlan0 itself will not assign v4 addresses to clients; you need a DHCP
> server for that
>=20
I plan to use static addresses as I do already (this is just a backup in =
case my WRT54G develops any issues).=20

> The hostap machine must be explicitly told to route packets, by =
setting
> gateway_enable=3D"YES" in rc.conf and adding the appropriate routes
>=20

I have that and the existing wired interface has the route set (I am =
connecting through that to make this work). This raises the question of =
whether I am expecting the functionality of a bridge without having =
specifically made one.=20

> If you're intending this to be a home gateway, you will likely also =
need
> NAT.

I think NAT is handled by the telco hardware (on cable) for now.=20

Hmm, starting to think this may not work as I expect. It might be fine =
as an additional AP but not as a replacement without some configuration =
changes that I will have forgotten how to make by then. The WRT box runs =
the PPPoE connection for DSL which I should be switching back to. I'm =
sure it can be done with this but I think I'm asking for trouble.=20

So maybe this is a solution in search of a problem. Might be to just =
find a spare WRT54G or its modern equivalent.=20

But that doesn't mean I don't want to figure this out.=20

--
Paul Beard

Are you trying to win an argument or solve a problem?=20