Date:      Mon, 03 Jan 2005 09:00:45 -0500
From:      "MikeM" <zlists@mgm51.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommended Mail Transfer Agent

On 1/2/2005 at 2:36 PM Adam Fabian wrote:

|On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 02:20:51PM -0600, Michael Madden wrote:
|> have noticed sendmail is the default MTA, but I have no sendmail
|> experience.  Also I know historically sendmail has had some serious
|> security issues.
|
|sendmail is also bundled with OpenBSD, which is proactively rabid about
|security.

They are also rabid about licensing issues, which I suspect is more than
likely the reason Postfix is not the default MTA and sendmail is.   Also,
sendmail is in send-only mode on OpenBSD, it does not receive mail from the
outside by default.

Having used sendmail, qmail and postifx, I can say that Postfix is the
hands-down easiest to configure. Additionally, the support on the
Postfix-users mailing list is excellent.