Date:      14 Mar 2000 22:56:46 +0100
From:      Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA timeout errors

Will Saxon <saxonww@ufl.edu> writes:

> ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. done
(...)
> I dont get any panics or anything, and after the reset to PIO everything
> seems to work fine.

You're lucky ;-)

I have the same kind of messages, but it ends with a dead freeze of my box.

The messages are :

ad0: WRITE command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done

Sometimes i've also :

ad0: timeout waitin for DRQ
ad0: HARD WRITE ERROR blk#xxxxxx status=01 error=02

The relevant lines of booting messages are :

atapci0: <Intel PIIX3 ATA controller> port 0xe800-0xe80f at device 7.1 on pci0
ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
(...)
ad0: 1222MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL1280A> [2484/16/63] at ata0-master using WDMA2
ad1: 2445MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL_TM2550A> [4969/16/63] at ata0-slave using WDMA2
acd0: CDROM <ATAPI CDROM> at ata1-master using PIO4

This problem arises with the following kernel config :

device          ata
device          atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives

options         ATA_STATIC_ID

If i use the old wdc driver, all is ok.

My box is using a Asustek P/I-P55T2P4 Motherboard, with a on-board PCI
Bus Master IDE controller. As written is the doc, this controller
supports PIO Modes 3 & 4 and Bus Master IDE DMA Mode 2.

If someone has a solution to get rid of wdc with such a config, he's
welcome...

(I'm currently compiling a kernel with the "device ata0 at..." and
"device ata1 at..." lines
instead of "device ata", just to verify...)