Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2007 05:08:40 -0400
From:      Nathan Lay <nslay@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ural as hostap, slow upload rate

Hi Everyone,
I have a very odd problem with ural running as hostap.  I recently
turned one of my machines into a WiFi AP using an old USB Linksys
adapter (ural attaches).

port 4 addr 2: high speed, power 300 mA, config 1, Wireless-G USB
Network Adapter(0x000d), Cisco-Linksys(0x13b1), rev 0.04

Everything works splendidly except there is one small problem.  I
noticed that while the Linksys adapter can receive at reasonably high
speeds, it cannot send over 100KB/s while running as hostap.  I
originally thought this was a performance problem with NAT on pf but I
observe this limit on the wireless network itself.  That is, I can send
a file at high speed to the AP, but the AP can only send a file to me at
100KB/s tops.

Here is ural's configuration
ural0: flags=108843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,NEEDSGIANT>
mtu 2290
        inet 172.20.0.1 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 172.20.255.255
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect mode 11g <hostap>
        status: associated
        ssid Lamp channel 9
        authmode WPA privacy MIXED deftxkey 2 AES-CCM 2:128-bit
        AES-CCM 3:128-bit txpowmax 100 bmiss 7 pureg protmode CTS
dtimperiod 1
        bintval 100

My laptop registers speeds of 54mbps.

This is the only thing I could find that briefly mentioned a similar
problem:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2005-December/020995.html

"> It was triggered when I ran the command "ifconfig ath0 pureg" as an
 > attempt to switch the  D-Link G520 running in hostAP mode, into "g
 > only" mode. I did this because I've been experiencing slow rates with
 > Airport Express clients (PowerBook) where no matter what the settings
 > on the AP are, it refuses to go above 1 Mbit/s."

I haven't really had much time to look into it further.  Comments are
appreciated, I'm not sure whats going on or where to look in src ... I'm
in the dark on this one.

Best Regards,
Nathan Lay