Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 1995 18:36:34 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        dima@escape.com (Dima)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, support@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem

Dima stands accused of saying:

> Hello, I have a problem. When I start FreeBSD it says:
>
> mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not multiple of clustersize length
>
> I have 2 SCSI Hard Drives sd0 (which is not mounted) and sd1 (where
> Freebsd is located). It's 2 Gig , and partisioned as 500Mb for FreeBSD
> and 1500Mb for Dos

1.5G is a really _really_ stupid size for an MSDOS filesystem.  The
above message means exactly what it says : the root directory is not
a multiple of the clustersize in length.  The root directory on a FAT
filesystem is a fixed length, and a 1.5G DOS partition has clusters 32K
in size, which is _larger_ than the root directory.

This is technically a violation of the FAT filesystem design, but DOS
is so stupid that it doesn't notice.  The msdosfs code is trying to be
helpful in pointing out the problem.

You don't say whether this prevents you from mounting the DOS partition.

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[