Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:58:43 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1.1 and 4.2 halt when booting, Gigabyte GA-6BXU

> > Perhaps it would be fairer to say "if what you're reporting is really
> > a lockup during the ISA PnP probe, then there are no known problems
> > related to that feature and thus no plans to fix it at this time".
>
> Except that it locks up, so there is apparently a problem (if this is
> indeed the case).  Just because it works for most people doesn't mean
> it's not broken.

So far we have "a symptom".  We don't even know what it's related to.
That doesn't give us a "known problem with PnP"; my point in the original
response was that since we don't have any known problems with PnP, there
isn't any fixing planned right now.

I didn't mean to imply that if we can work out what's wrong, we won't fix
it - that'd be silly.  Just like if I had any damn idea where to start
with the Thinkpad/PnP BIOS issue, I'd be trying to track it down.  That
one has me really puzzled.