Date:      Sun, 8 Dec 2002 09:17:53 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Ruby <mruby2003@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vinum question - Is this possible?

This is my plan:
1. Set up an empty 40G drive with vinum.
2. Copy what I need from another 40G drive to it.
3. Erase the second drive and set it up with vinum,
too, so that I have a mirrored set containing the
original data (or most of it, anyway).

Is this possible?  If so, I'm not at all clear about
how I should go about it.  In a trial run, I had no
problems with setting up the empty drive with vinum,
but then writing a second configuration to the same
drive as an experiment resulted in a non-functioning
system.  (Further research confirms this was the wrong
thing to do.)

I originally assumed I could simply follow the
instructions for replacing a failed drive, but after
reading them, am puzzled about how (if it's possible
at all) to "create the impression" of there having
been a drive that now needs to be rebuilt.  Can anyone
offer some suggestions?

Many thanks,
Matt