Date:      Tue, 09 May 2006 16:16:56 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Noack" <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        "Mike Jakubik" <mikej@rogers.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, jason <freebsd@jasons.us>
Subject:   Re: imap w/cleartext on 5.4-RELEASE

Mike Jakubik wrote:
> jason wrote:
>> I'm trying to get imap-uw built on 5.4-RELEASE so that it wil allow
>> plaintext logins.  (All connections will be from localhost so I'm not
>> concerned with SSL)  But it doesn't want to behave itself.  I've tried
>> building it this way:
>
> This belongs more on the ports mailing list, not stable. I don't know
> why you have this problem, but i would suggest you use dovecot or
> courier as an imap server instead.

Not to beat an off-topic horse, but...

When I switched from Courier IMAP to Dovecot, I saw a huge increase in
performance.  Dovecot uses index files that prevent it from having to
continually scan a mailbox for every request.  For my largest folders
(30,000+ messages), Dovecot was *at least* an order of magnitude faster.

-Jonathan

--
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu