Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:40:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Iwan L. Wirawan" <iwan@dnet.net.id>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard Disk configuration

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Iwan L. Wirawan wrote:

> I need some information on
> - how partitions and slices work for Hard disk on FreeBSD, about how to
>   make a correct entry on disktab for configuring additional hard disk.

In fact, you do not ever need to use disktab.  See below.

> - how to calculate the need of swap partition (or slice?) (depend
>   on phisical memory perhaps?)

I think the starting benchmark is 2xmemory, but if you are running
Xwindows start at 50mb and go up from there.  With 32MB of RAM I have a
100MB swap that could be 50MB since I only use 13% of it at a time. ;)

I suggest consulting http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk.html, my
disk creation documentation.  Hope this helps.