Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 11:45:58 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        lynch@bsd.unix.sh (Pat Lynch)
Cc:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com, matt@BabCom.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible idea to raise funds.

> > FreeBSD.org accounts are already sort of the "executive perk" of those
> > who care enough about FreeBSD to volunteer their labor, either as
> > docs, ports or src committers.  Not to say that this alone has been
> > their incentive, but hey, they're volunteers and there are so few
> > tangible things one gets as a volunteer that each and every one counts
> > for something. :)
>
> what about those who have given themselves self(sense)lessly in advocacy
> efforts?
> (hint hint) , when I was at the bazaar, it would have been nice to give a
> freebsd.org address as a contact while I was manning the booth.

On the other hand, it's nice to have people who aren't @freebsd.org
promote it.  We aren't just some fringe group all clustered around one
domain.

Perks for advocacy are pretty much non-existent.  Having said that, if
you do enough, well enough, publicly enough, people in the community
will recognize you and your efforts.

Personally, I don't think that advocacy is enough to warrant an
@freebsd.org address.  FreeBSD has taken me from a librarian sitting
bored in a little box in a library basement making $18K, to a network
engineer sitting bored in a little box in a skyscraper basement making
$75K.  I'm willing to give a little time in exchange for my house,
nifty truck, and bad-ass saltwater aquarium with an urchin that
resembles the Sputnik.

Yes, I'd love an @freebsd.org address.  Perhaps I'll get it one day.
But I'm not a committer, I don't contribute actual zeroes and ones
that make it onto CD-Roms.  I could sit down, polish up my HTML
skills, and contribute to the doc project, and get it, I'm sure.
Anyone here could, if they wanted to.

Personally, I make my own perks for advocacy; I write articles, and
submit them to paying markets first.  What's left I (plan to) rewrite
and send to daemonnews.  So far, I've been paid every time.  Sorry,
Chris.  :)

Through advocacy, we make friends we wouldn't have otherwise.  We have
a *community*.  Thanks to freebsd, some cool hacker-type dudes across
the world have some clue who I am, and consider me as someone with
half a clue.

> of course the fact that I have bsdunix.net made it not so bad.

So whaddaya gripin' for?  ;) (Although blackhelicopters.org isn't a
bad name, either.)

==ml