Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:56:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routers and such

Dennis recently said:
> At 10:03 AM 6/4/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >Mike Tancsa recently said:

> >> Depends how much you want to move, and how much you want to spend,
> >> and what sort of knowledge base you have to draw on. $2K for a
> >> pair of PEECEE routers, v.s. $20K, and then service contracts,

> >Well I have a few Cicso's - only 1 had a service contract on it -
> >to get the new ROMS upgrade - an older 2501.  The other 2501/7/11's
> >are not under contract, and were purchased used.
> >Used market Cicso's are decent bargains - check the industrial type
> >mags for those who sell them.  Depending on levels you may not need
> >the latest IOS.

> Perhaps, but that box is about $7K on a PII-400, and the vast
> majority of people dont need the "extra features". Cisco also has
> "features" like disfunctional mtus, blubbering PPP protocols and
> they pig out woefully when you run bandwidth management. Far from
> perfect, and bgp4 on gated runs just fine.

No perhaps - they really are great bargains.  I was commenting on
the expensive hardware needed - and used is reasonable.

If you don't need the horsepower or expandability of the big iron,
it's foolish to buy it.  The bigger things are expandable, and at
least count I had about 8 outbound T1s.

In July we are probably going to be setting up a 850 node network
for a client for ONE WEEK.  I can envision using at least 6 of the
ethernet ports to do that and keep things isolated to some degree.

Used equipment is good.  More power than you need is not good.
The problem with a statement like "the vast majority" is who makes
up this 'vast majority'.  I suspect those will be different people
based on individual perceptions.

--
bv@wjv.com