Date:      Sat, 2 Feb 2013 13:20:39 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Iain Young <iain@g7iii.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SD card -image- for the beaglebone

On Jan 31, 2013, at 3:02 AM, Iain Young wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>=20
> I have just taken delivery of a few Beaglebones that I am intending to
> do some NTP Work. With FreeBSD having one of the better reputations
> with regards to Time and PPS etc, I thought I would install FreeBSD on
> at least one of them.
>=20
> Unfortunately, all of the guides I've found all assume you have a
> FreeBSD box already running. Unfortunately, I don't, and nor do I have
> a spare x86 box to do so.
>=20
> Does anyone have an *image* of a base install for a 4 Gig microSD
> card that I can download ? Preferably with ssh and dhcp installed
> (yes, I know about blowing away the keys), as that would avoid having
> to rely on the console.
>=20
> Quite happy to rebuild the kernel and world afterwards (yes, I know I
> need an 8 Gig SD card), but it's just this bootstrapping problem thats
> an issue=85

I just uploaded a BeagleBone SD image that people can play with.

=
http://people.freebsd.org/~kientzle/FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE-r246229-noWITNESS-8=
g-2013-02-02.img.xz

This is:
   * Based on SVN r246229
   * Completely vanilla build from SVN except as noted below
   * Includes my new CPSW driver (not yet committed to SVN)
   * Sized for an 8G card
   * WITNESS and INVARIANTS are disabled
   * NFSCL and NFSLOCKD enabled
   * Has a user "beagle" with password "beagle" that you can login with =
SSH

If you'd like to build your own, this image was built with the scripts =
I've been maintaining on Github using the following config.sh file:

board_setup BeagleBone
SD_SIZE=3D$((7900 * MB))
customize_freebsd_partition ( ) {
    # 768M swap file /usr/swap0
    disk_add_swap_file 768
    # Home directory for user accounts
    mkdir -p $1/home
    # Add a user "beagle:beagle" with password "beagle"
    pw -V $1/etc groupadd beagle -g 1001
    # 'pw' doesn't let you set the Password, but -w makes it same as =
username
    pw -V $1/etc useradd beagle -u 1001 -g beagle -m -k $1/etc/skel -w =
yes
}

If you have ideas for improving this, I'm very interested.

Cheers,

Tim