Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:39:12 -0800
From:      R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@nwlink.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: user account gone awry

> Send the output of the following commands (run as the user in question):
>
> ls -load ~

How about this:
drwxr-xr-x 7 root wheel - 512 Feb 15 19:12 /root

> du ~

du:/root/.kde/share/config: Permission denied
du:/root/.kde/share/apps: Permission denied
du:/root/.kde/share/icons: Permission denied
du:/root/.kde/share/applnk: Permission denied
du:/root/.kde/share/mimelnk: Permission denied
1	/root/.kde/share
2	/root/.kde
du:/root/mail: Permission denied
du:/root/Desktop: Permission denied
du:/root/.netscape: Permission denied
du:/root/nsmail: Permission denied
13	/root

> id

uid=1000(joseph) gid=1000(joseph) groups=1000(joseph), 0(wheel),
69(network)

> Things to check for:
>
> In ls output, does your username show up as the owner of the directory? If
> you get a numerical uid instead of your username, that may be a sign that
> your uid has been altered. Can you read and execute it?  Does du output
> anything at all, or does it say permission denied?  Does the output of id
> make sense?  Does your uid match what it is supposed to be?

It seems to think that my home directory is /root, even though id shows
I am user "joseph".  If I "startx", it even brings me into root's
desktop.

> Also, if that first ls says permission denied, then the permissions on
> /home or /usr/home are in question.  Try ls -load /home instead.

The permissions of /home are:
lrwxrwxrwx root wheel
It won't let me see the permissions on /home/joseph unless logged in as
root.  But they are as they should be:
drwxr-xr-x joseph joseph