Date:      Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:37:10 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        kvedulv@kvedulv.de
Cc:        freebsd-mips@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC on RouterBoard 411

In message: <20100123155657.GG23141@darkthrone.kvedulv.de>
            Michael Moll <kvedulv@kvedulv.de> writes:
: Hi All,
:
: I'm experimenting with FreeBSD/mips and a RouterBoard 411. It's booting
: via BOOTP/TFTP, but the NICs are not detected correctly. See full dmesg
: here: http://space.kvedulv.de/rb411_dmesg.txt
:
: When tcpdumping I see no pakets comming from the board, so I suppose
: arge0 is the "real" interface with some PHY that gets not detected ATM.
:
: Any hints to get more information?

In the hints file for the AR71XX file we see:

# PHY4 = 1 << 4
hint.arge.0.phymask=0x10
# Uncomment this hint for RS (not PRO)
# PHY20 = 1 << 20
# hint.arge.0.phymask=0x100000
# PHY1, PHY2, PHY3
hint.arge.1.phymask=0x0e
# should be 100 for RS
hint.arge.1.media=1000
hint.arge.1.fduplex=1
# Uncomment this hint for RS (not PRO)
# hint.arge.0.phymask=70000

This is the mask of PHY addresses.  If you have the documentation for
the PHY addresses on your board, create a bitmask from that.  If you
lack documentation, trial an error likely can have good results since
there's only 32 possible addresses the PHYs could be wired to.

Warner