Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 2021 15:06:59 -0600
From:      "@lbutlr" <kremels@kreme.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to hide dot files on ftp?

> On 29 Mar 2021, at 13:13, Marwan Sultan <dead_line@hotmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> Dear FreeBSD family!
>=20
> im on FreeBSD 12.2-R
> i have noticed when i use ftp (the default ftpd freebsd build) - the =
.dot files are not hidden!

Is this new? I don't think this I new. I know I have certainly used FTP =
to upload new htaccess files back when FTP was a thing, oh some 20 years =
ago or so.

> i managed to hide those files on the webserver from apache conf file.

The default configuration of apache hides at least the ht files.

Files ".ht*">
    Require all denied
</Files>

I would not suggest you change that to ".*"

> but i cannot find away to hide it from any ftp users.

Seems like a bad idea to me, bit then again running ftp at all in 2021 =
seems like a bad idea to me.

> I donot want to install any ftp additional package and its no not FTP =
server.

Not sure what the means, but "I want to do <thing> but I don't want to =
do anything that is necessary to do <thing> is a bad opening position." =
It is quite possible the solution to what you want to do will require a =
different ftp server, so you refusing to consider that is not going to =
solve your problem.

> anyone kindly may advise where/how to hide the dot files from ftp =
user. (ftp user =3D real shell account)

Nope. I have never done this nor would I ever do this nor can I think of =
a scenario where I would want to do this, but I am probably missing =
something.

For example, if I don't want a user to much with some htacess settings, =
I put those in a directory above the one the user has access to.

--=20
Mind if I kiss the monkey? <smooch> Ptttfft! Hairball!