Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2002 22:48:00 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   VIA crahes - solved (it seems)!

Hi folks,

this may well be my last report on the system crashes I (and probably also
other people) have seen on VIA 686B boards.

Basically, ever since I did my latest CVSup on Saturday and rubilt world as
well as the kernel, even the most demanding tests would not allow me to
crash my machine. The strange thing is that my previous kernel was exactly
from one week ago. At that time Soren's 686B fixes were already in place,
and a message about the fix being applied even showed up in my dmesg.boot.
So, I don't really know why this week's sources work so well, as there were
basically no dramatic changes since the week before. But instead of
wondering about it, I'll be happy that it works instead ;-)

I'll keep my eyes on this and in case new problem should occur with any of
my future (weekly) updates, I will report them. I do, however, think that
the problem may now be successfully fixed *for good*, and would like to
thank the people who worked on this. Special thanks to Soren, who created
the fix, and of course to Matt, who worked hard on debugging my problems,
when initially it seemed as if something was wrong with the NFS code.
Thanks folks ;-)

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany