Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 11:47:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: auto-negotiation in xl driver takes too long?

>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> writes:

 Bill> Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Viren R. Shah
 Bill> had to walk into mine and say:

 Bill> It should not be from memory: it should be written down on paper and
 Bill> transcribed exactly. I have no idea what this error message means or
 Bill> where it comes from. It's possible you remembered it wrong and
 Bill> it actually said something different which might have been
 Bill> useful, but now we'll never know.

Here's the exact boot message. It's easily reproducible, by removing
the "sleep 5" from /etc/rc

*Network pass 1 done.
*Starting the mount of all NFS filesystems.
 xl0: autoneg not complete, no carrier
 xl1: autoneg complete, link status good (half-duplex, 10Mbps)
 [hangs for a long time]
 nfs: can't get net id for host
*Finished mounting all NFS filesystems.
 recording kernel -c changes
 additional daemons: syslogd.

The statements prefixed with an * are the ones I introduced into the
rc files.
When it does continue after being hung during the NFS mount, all of my
NFS filesystems are not mounted (although most of them are). In this
state when I do a mount -a -t nfs again in order to mount the ones
that haven't been mounted, all the NFS mounts that were already
mounted get mounted again (as in they are listed twice in the df
output).

 Bill> The autonegotiation doesn't happen sequentially. That is, it takes 5

Aah.

 Bill> I'm not quite certain how to deal with this. If I reduce the timeout,
 Bill> it will break autonegotiation with some of the 3c905 boards (which is
 Bill> what I increased the timeout to fix in the first place). NFS mounts are
 Bill> done via RPC, and the RPC library is supposed to retry a couple times
 Bill> before giving up. I would have expected it to succeed eventually.

It does seem to retry and succeed for *some* of the NFS mounts.

[options]
1. add "bg" to fstab
2. force the media type
3. change the code

Like I mentioned the first time, I'm perfectly happy with putting a
sleep statement in the rc file. If this is going to affect only a few
people (namely me), then that is fine. However, if you want me to test
the above 3 options to see whether they work, and give you feedback,
let me know, and I'll do so. This seems to be more the fault of the
NFS/RPC  subsystem than of the NIC driver.

 Bill> -Bill

Viren
--
Viren R. Shah, {viren @ rstcorp . com}
"SCSI *is* God's bus and it's hardly an old-fashioned (or academic)