Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:54:24 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <peri@perimeter.co.za>
To:        FUJITA Kazutoshi <fujita@soum.co.jp>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SiS900 attach failed

On Tue 11 Jun 02 20:35, FUJITA Kazutoshi wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I got SiS chipset based PC recently, and install 4-STABLE.
>
> But my SiS900 does not work with GENERIC kernel.
>
> sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port 0xd400-0xd4ff mem
> 0xdfff9000-0xdfff9fff irq 11 at device 3.0 on pci0 sis0: Ethernet
> address: 00:07:95:c0:de:e2
> sis0: MII without any PHY!
> device_probe_and_attach: sis0 attach returned 6
>

> Here is 'pciconf -lv' output.
>
> none0@pci0:3:0: class=0x020000 card=0x09001039 chip=0x09001039
> rev=0x90 hdr=0x00 vendor   = 'Silicon Integrated Systems (SiS)'
>     device   = 'SiS900 Fast Ethernet/Home Networking Ctrlr'
>     class    = network
>     subclass = ethernet

Aha - looks familiar!  I posted the following question on Saturday:

> I have been asked to install FreeBSD on a customer's machine, and
> have run into a problem with the NIC.  Here are a few lines extracted
> from dmesg:
>
> ---
> dc0: <Davicom DM9102A 10/100 BaseTX> at device 15.0 on pci0
> dc0: couldn't map port/memory
> device_probe_and_attach: dc0 attach returned 6
> ---
>
> I am installing 4.5 RELEASE from CD.  The first indication of a
> problem was that sysinstall did not list the NIC along with other
> network devices during the installation.  Then, once the OS was
> loaded, I rebooted, and no NIC appears when using ifconfig -a .
>
> Does anyone know if this can be fixed, or is it perhaps a dud card?
>
> PS: LINT indicates that the dc driver supports Davicom DM9101 and
> DM9102 cards.  I don't know if the DM9102A is different enough to
> perhaps cause this error. ?!?

In my case the mother board is an ASUS A37VL133-VM.  I have
subsequently tried an SMC card only to experience the same problem (it
also emulates the Intel/DEC chip and hence uses the 'dc' driver).  I
found an old 10meg card with a Realtek chip emulating an NE2000, and
that works OK (but I don't want to install a 10meg card in a new PC!)

I also compared the code for the 'dc' driver from 4.5-RELEASE to -p5,
and as far as I can tell there has not been any change there.

I eagerly await some news here.

Regards,
Patrick.