Date:      Mon, 02 Dec 2002 00:45:28 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        Reinier Kleipool <Reinier@kleipool.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about shared libraries and the library cache.

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> The original posting did not mention a reboot, but rather a manual
> ldconfig(8) invocation immediately after installing the libraries.  In
> this case, your advice about ldconfig -m was correct, as I noted in the
> part of my message that you snipped; but there are other directories to
> be considered besides /usr/local/lib.

FWIW:

IMO, the value of the path list was probably corrupt, since the
"ldconfig -R" he said he ran failed to find it, or the other
shared libraries in /usr/local/lib.  In other words, he munged
something and broke it, some time ago, and was only now feeling
the pain.

One of the problems with upgrading from an older version of
FreeBSD to a newer version is that the process fails to deal
with transporting the current configuration to the new version
of the OS, for a lot of corner cases.

The reason I said what I said, and said it the way that I did,
was to give something that would work, no matter how screwed
up the situation was.

-- Terry