Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 07:35:05 -0600
From:      Chris Moline <ugly-daemon@home.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Tuning/Sysadmins

On Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 06:35:05AM -0400, Bill/Carolyn Pechter wrote:
> Try and find good Unix folks these days.
> I'm in Holmdel, New Jersey and even with AT&T and Bell Labs
> laying off tons of folks Unix trained sysadmins with more than a
> minimal exposure to Linux or Unix are impossible to find.
>
> Let's get real.  Universities and Colleges are not training
> Unix sysadmins.  They're not getting trained in tech schools --
> which are turning out Cisco and Windows certifications galore.
>
> The type of person who mucks with systems for fun is rare and
> often you just can't find them when you want them. (Want to work
> here in New Jersey at Ureach... send me resumes)
From over here it's I would love to be a unix sysadmin but can't find anyone
who does training and someone who's willing to hire. I would apply to you but
I don't have the experience.

> That's why Solaris and SVR4 has gotten easier to tune.  AT&T
> made a decision to have the boot -r reconfigure /dev and do the
> MAKEDEV automatically.  Edit /etc/master and rebuild the kernel.
> Heck no, run this gui-like tool and we'll rebuild it for you and
> you can skip all the headaches... we'll even update the boot
> pointers to the new kernel for you.
>
> It's been a long time since I built Xelos on a Concurrent 3230
> box... I remember compiling and linking the kernel in a ram disk
> in order to begin the process of loading the stuff to disk.
>
> Most folks forget just how Admin-unfriendly Unix was back in the
> bad old days.  Need a new device driver -- rebuild and relink
> everything -- no demand loading of drivers.  Compare this to
> proprietary vendor OS's of the time.
>
> Easier tuning would not be a bad thing... just it's a shame what
> passes for Admin and Operations staff these days.
>
> Most of these guys couldn't add a user to Solaris without
> useradd and admintool.
>
> Let 'em just try it with vi... and watch the fun.
> Some don't know the difference between /etc/inetd.conf and
> /etc/services.
Making the os easier to use is not a bad thing. I am learning how to code and
the interface is one of the things I am trying to improve. I know the diff
between inetd.conf and services and I know how to add a user with vi but I
don't see how this is any better than using a gui. What's wrong with using an
easier to use tool?? If it does everything you need then I say it's good
enough.

Chris Moline