Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 17:45:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Spurious crashes while making world

No, this isn't a report. There are some who pointed out that these
"crashes" or "anomolies" are caused by "bad" DRAM. Whilst this may
in fact be the case, we might want to consder adding another entry
to this FAQ: Mixed DRAM.

What I discovered, after changing out DRAM twice, was that I ended
up with a combination of Fast Page and EDO. Even worse, the combination
was in one bank of SIMMS (one 32M FP and one 32M EDO). The moral of
the story is probably to buy DRAM from mail order and not from that
venerable warehouse of reliable product, Fry's.

So, before we start down the path "Your DRAM is bad" we might want
to suggest "Is your DRAM mixed Fast Page and EDO?"

BTW: Anyone know of a good way to stare at the chip and determine
this?

-scooter