Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 14:16:34 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, se@FreeBSD.ORG, Shimon@i-connect.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcireg.h lost children... ?

> > Right.  "Nope".  Because this is hardly what I was suggesting.  I can
> > access a locally stored dbm LDAP database using dbm.  I don't have
> > to use a network connection.  This type of information, like the
> > credentials necessary to get to the point where the network is up
> > and credentials can be remotely obtained, *must*, by definition,
> > be locally stored.
>
> ... and by extension about the only thing that's left worth having in
> the remote database is information for hardware that isn't
> involved in getting to that stage, ie. soundcards.  Not what I'd
> describe as terribly helpful, no?

Wrong.  You only need to store local non-default configuration
settings, and boot critical account data, etc..  All other user
accounts can be remote.

NIS operates this way; I don't understand why you would find the idea
so alien.

> > Just so that you're aware, this problem was solved before outside
> > the BSD camp at Novell, when providing NDS-based logons to UnixWare;
> > UnixWare had to be brought up to the point where the net was up
> > before the NDS calls could hope to go remote.
>
> Accessing user credentials is just ever so _slightly_ different to
> accessing configuration information for operation-critical hardware.

*Non-default* configuration information.

And we both agree that it needs to be somewhere; one somewhere is
topologically equivalent to any other.

> > There's *some* stuff on the USU (*.usu.edu) FTP servers, where they
> > keep all the NetWare stuff.
>
> Ta.
>
> > Alternately, there is a driver developement kit you can get from
> > Microsoft; they sendit to all the board vendors who want it.
>
> As a non-board vendor, how does one qualify for this?

Ask.  Don't make it obvious that you aren't a board vendor.  They
will assume you are by default, since that is the target audience.

> ... or can't.  This is exactly the reason for doing it.  In addition,
> the reading I've done does actually imply that the architecture is
> reasonably sane, even if it does offload too much work (IMHO) onto the
> card.

Yes; duplicate support routines is a hazard of running more than
one brand of network card in the machine.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.