Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 20:01:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.pp.ru>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'fetch' error with http, fix wanted

<<On Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:31:40 PDT, Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com> said:

> want to try to detect clients that have disappeared, and there's a
> common (T/TCP-breaking) assumption that if you get a read EOF then
> the connection is gone and you should tear it down at the application
> level.

Not just Transaction TCP....  That's a pretty clear failure on their
part in terms of the TCP spec as a whole.  There's nothing preventing
any Web browser from doing a shutdown() on the socket after it
transmits its request.  (Of course, a lot of TCPs don't do anything
on shutdown(), but that's another story altogether.)

-GAWollman