Date:      Fri, 04 Nov 2005 08:05:12 -0500
From:      Mike O'Dell <mo@ccr.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 134, Issue 5

freebsd-stable-request@freebsd.org wrote:

    On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 09:42:45PM -0700, Brett Glass wrote:

    > > It has always worked perfectly in my reality.

    That's just wonderful, Brett!

    Kris

Brett is too polite, so i'll say it for him.
Brett Glass was sweating problems like this when
many people on this list were still in diapers.
Dismissive condescending responses like this one
are *way* outa line.

There is a well-worked example of this "shit/noshit" approach to config management
and it's cisco ios configs.

anyone who believes this works well has clearly not done enough of it.

this approach makes automating significant changes almost
impossible so it requires a daunting amount of human intervention.
this is, in turn, a rich and eternal source of mistakes, many of which crash
entire networks.  True, a FreeBSD config error is unlikely to crash an entire
network but it can certainly be a significant waste of time and energy,
especially given the rate of undocumented changes which happen in
this active corner of the FreeBSD world.

let me be very clear here:  we have a worked example of the approach
	and it sucks flaming red bugs

is there an alternative? maybe like doing better consistency checking in "config"
so while it might bitch about something it finds suspicious,
it doesn't just automatically break things?

No, the Department of Snarky Replies doesn't even want to discuss the matter
given their authoritative experience across all time and space.

Great. just freaking great.

	-mo

Mike O'Dell
Compass Rose Labs LLC