Date:      Tue, 25 Aug 1998 10:17:48 +0100 (BST)
From:      Darren Byrne <darren@demon.net>
To:        Marc Giannoni <marc@versa.eng.comsat.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC Elite 16C Ultra interface connector selection

Marc Giannoni said:

> Hi:
>
> I'm having troble with a SMC Elite 16C Ultra.
>
> I can't seem to get the thing to know what connector I want to use
> for the interface.  These things get good press in the FAQ and Handbook,
> so I know it should work OK!  Is there anyone who has one working on
> the Twisted Pair connector?  How do you get it to use it?

Marc,

If I remember correctly there is a driver / utility disk with the card
with a utility called ezstart ( or something like that ) that runs under
DOS. You can set the card to either auto configure which port it uses
or hardwire it for a certain port. I have had trouble using the card
under certain *BSD's when set to the auto option so I always hard set
for a particular port.

Use the ifconfig link options to switch ports if you're using the card
in auto mode.

Sorry if that's vague, I haven't played with the SMC cards for a while!

Darren Byrne
Senior Network Engineer     Think I slipped the net, but I cut myself
Demon Internet Limited     free. I'm not loosing it, so don't forget me.