Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 16:02:49 -0400
From:      Steve Marmer <ids@interlog.com>
To:        Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot do sound and printing at same time

Randall Hopper wrote:

> Steve Marmer:
>
>  |Running 2.2.2 right now yet for the longest time I have not been
> able to
>  |build a kernel that will allow the use of sound as well as
> printing.  It
>  |seems like it must be one or the other.  I have a SB AWE 32.  If I
> recall
>
> As others have suggested, you can flip your printer driver to polled
> mode
> (lptcontrol -p).  Another fix would be to move your SB AWE 32 to the
> standard IRQ for SB cards -- IRQ 5.  I have a SB 32 as well.

Am I to understand, then, that polled mode means I can do both printing
and sound
without troubles, without boot-time kernal adjustments, etc?

IRQ5 would be good if my ethernet card wasn't using it.  (I had quite
the IRQ crunch on my
486, but now that I have a PCI/Cyrix6x86 system I should take another
look.)

Many thanks to all who've replied.