Date:      Tue, 20 Oct 1998 00:10:32 -0400
From:      "Michael G." <mikegoe@ibm.net>
To:        "FBSDQ" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Proxy Server install SOLVED!

Just wanted to thank all the comments/hints/ideas I got to
do a 3.0 Release install through a proxy server.  I learned
a few tricks that I thought I would pass along incase
anyone tries it.

My setup : one box runnig 3.0-RELEASE using a Win98 Box as
a proxy...using wingate.  You must setup a special pass
thru on the the win box to simply foward the ftp request
straight to ftp.freebsd.com, or an equivilant..be sure to
do it using the ip address, not the name.

On the FreeBSD box you need to go to options and set your
distribution name to the full path (very important).  When
you select your install method select ftp (not ftp through
a proxy), then select the manual URL option...enter the ip
address of your windoze box..thats it!

I had to find a stable site..ftp3 was the best.  I suggest
you install incrementally as the thought of getting 3 hours
into an install and have something happen does not put a
smile on my face.

One note, when installing packages I found that some (for
example the linux libraries could only be installed from
the ftp.freebsd.org site as the install script check the
source and if it's not that one it fails...so much for 30
minutes of dl time!

I still have to install XFree86 tomorrow night..any one
know the average distribution size without source?

Have a great nite!

Michael G.

Live FreeBSD...Or Die!

Brought to you by the letters 'O' and 'S' and the number '2'

C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
C:\RUN\DOS\RUN

PIC          X  10    VALUE "YES! COBOL"